[mgp-users 01410] Re: postscript and fonts

From: Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org>
Subject: [mgp-users 01409] Re: postscript and fonts
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:04:11 -0500

 > > Hmm, very strange.
 > > Could you give me how it didn't work at all?
 > > You meant your ps file was not readable?
 >
 > Sorry, I was not clear.  "Didn't work at all" means that I got no
 > Verdana fonts in the PS.  The bold and italics and all worked in
 > whatever font it was --- it's just that the font still wasn't Verdana.

I see.
The modification I made converts Verdana fonts into Times fonts in PS.
Sorry for confusion. I thought your gs cannot use Verdana fonts correctly,
so I tried to make you pick up Times fonts as a work around.

 > > I guess the reason you got the standard font is that mgp2ps simply
 > > picked up the default font "Helvetica" due to the swapping.
 >
 > I don't follow.  After swapping (i.e., my version above), most of the
 > text on my slides is in the "Verdana" font.  But, switching to an
 > italics or bold version of Verdana didn't work (that is, it continued to
 > use the "Verdana" font).
 > Thoughts?

Hmm, maybe your gs treats the "Verdana" font as the "Helvetica".
So, using

      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Verdana", "Helvetica" },
      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Verdana:style=Bold",      "Helvetica-Bold" },
      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Courier",         "Courier" },
      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Verdana:style=Italic",    "Helvetica-Italic" },
      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Verdana:style=Bold Italic",       "Helvetica-BoldItalic" },

or

      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Verdana", "Verdana" },
      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Verdana:style=Bold",      "Verdana-Bold" },
      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Courier",         "Courier" },
      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Verdana:style=Italic",    "Verdana-Italic" },
      { CTL_XFONT2, ASCII, "Verdana:style=Bold Italic",       "Verdana-BoldItalic" },

might work well.

Thanks,
--
Yoshifumi Nishida