[mgp-users 01221] Rendering bugs in 1.10a

Magicpointers,

In comparing the results of displaying my presentations with
1.09a and 1.10a, I've found some recurring bugs with the first
bullet item on a page, having to do with the wrong font, and/or
the wrong vertical gap, being used.

I've created three side-by-side images to illustrate the
problems, showing in each case the 1.09a versions on the
left-hand side, and the (different, and IMHO incorrect) 1.10a
versions on the right.

These can be viewed at http://teachmeperl.com, under the names
advice.jpg, success.jpg, and spugstats.jpg. The corresponding
*.mgp text files are also available there as advice_mgp.txt,
and so forth.

The test procedure was to simply view the same *.mgp file, using
the same .mgprc file, with the 1.09 and 1.10 versions of the
viewer, and record the differences. (I did not change the .mgprc
file, so there's no "tab 0" definition, or any other change.)

The *.mgp files will look rather odd to most of you, because they
are generated by a preprocessor, which inserts various comments
and "%noop"s for debugging purposes. The most peculiar feature is
that to create vertical gaps of various sizes, I switch the
foreground color to match the background (black), and print an
invisible "." with a particular %vgap setting. I found this
necessary because the %vgap directive (at least in 1.09a) did not
affect blank lines until after a non-blank line had been printed,
and %size manipulations did not work as I expected either, so I
decided just to print something invisible.

I trust the MGP development team will find these materials useful
in identifying and fixing the bugs in the new version. By the
way, I haven't been able to really test the new features yet, in
part because I can't get fontconfig-2.2.0 to compile under Linux,
due to inconsistencies in its own header files causing errors
(parse error before "face", etc.).  Does anybody know how to fix
this?

-Tim
| Tim Maher (206) 781-UNIX  (866) DOC-PERL  (866) DOC-UNIX   |
| CEO, JAWCAR ("Just Another White Camel Award Recipient")   |
| tim(AT)Consultix-Inc.Com  TeachMeUnix.Com  TeachMePerl.Com |
|  Watch for my Book: "Minimal Perl for Shell Programmers"   |