(mgp-users 00574) Re: side-by-side positioning

> From: Christopher Drexler <drexler@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
>
> It depends of what you expect of the 'xyloc' command. Should the x-setting
> persist or should it be set to '0'. And if so, when schould it be set '0'?

I was thinking that it would operate just like I recalled the "%again"
function operating, except jumping to a user-specified location rather
than one that happened to be previously marked.

> The 'xyloc' can be as easily introduces as the 'xoffset' command. The
> 'heavier' part was the 'x' offset, because this is usually determined
> dynamically and no 'xpos' element exists within the  render_state structre.
> 'ypos' exists an can be easily modified, as shown by the 'again' command.

Okay, it's been a while since I created a new talk in mgp (though I just
repeated an old talk last week in Stuttgart).  So I've probably forgotten
exactly how "%again" works.  I was thinking "%again" jumped to the x,y
location where the "%mark" command was given.  But maybe it only jumps
to the y location?  And now that I think about it, I recall having to
jump through some hoops to jump to a previous x,y location using "%again"
and a bunch of spaces -- so maybe there needs to be a "%xyagain" command.

> This is  what I also thought of in one of my other postings. This command
> should store the x and y offset.

Yes, I agree.

> Right, that's why I introduce 'xoffset' :-).

And I think "%xoffset" looks like a very good command -- with even more
uses, given your two-column example.

> Chris

	Bill