(mgp-users 00453) Re: transparent gifs

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000, Yoshifumi Nishida wrote:
> >> On 14 Nov 2000, Karsten Petersen <karsten.petersen@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> >> some time ago I made a patch to let mgp load images using imlib, that
> >> patch is capable of using transparency in pictures too.
> >>
> >> you can find it here:
> >> 	http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~kapet/mgp/
>
> alfie>  Are there any reasons why this is not going into the official
> alfie> distribution?
>
> The major reason is the laziness of the author. :P

 ;-)

> The minor reason is depending on many libraries will increase the costs
> to maintain the codes. We have to catch up with version-up of the libraries.
> And it may impose complex procedure for installation on some users.

 O.k., I think you're right at this point.

> But this patch seems worth paying the costs, I think I need to check.

 Thanks a lot.

> However, I would like to recommand to use PNG with alpha channel instead of
> transparent gif.

 Me too, totally agreed!!

 One more - what I really was thinking back when I wrote that mail is
that it should be possible to do the -D htmldir option to some losless
color format?  You know - pictures that consist mainly of letters and
large areas with a single color look... unsharp in jpeg.  They stink,
somehow ;-)  I really would _love_ to have the html-export being able to
export to a colortrue/losless picture format (like png, maybe gif)

 Thanks,
Alfie

P.S.: Oh, btw. the slides I told you about by Alan Cox are available
now: <http://pinguin.pte.at/~alfie/ac/brooks/>