(mgp-users 00452) Re: transparent gifs

From: Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@innocent.com>
Subject: (mgp-users 00434) Re: transparent gifs
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:09:34 +0900

>> On 14 Nov 2000, Karsten Petersen <karsten.petersen@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
>> some time ago I made a patch to let mgp load images using imlib, that
>> patch is capable of using transparency in pictures too.
>>
>> you can find it here:
>> 	http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~kapet/mgp/

alfie>  Are there any reasons why this is not going into the official
alfie> distribution?

The major reason is the laziness of the author. :P
The minor reason is depending on many libraries will increase the costs
to maintain the codes. We have to catch up with version-up of the libraries.
And it may impose complex procedure for installation on some users.

But this patch seems worth paying the costs, I think I need to check.

However, I would like to recommand to use PNG with alpha channel instead of
transparent gif.

Thanks,
--
Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@csl.sony.co.jp>
Sony Computer Science Laboratories, Inc.