[mgp-users 01366] Re: Some tips for improved graphical appearance ?

Dear Nishida-San,

thanks for your suggestions and examples. They were very helpful and
instructive.

> You can have virtual shadowed fonts with the following example,
> although this is very tricky. :) [..]

Indeed, I did not realize. However the quality is not quite comparable
to what I am looking for. You can see an example of what I'd like to
get at

http://www.shaman.ibpc.fr/shadow.png

> I don't know whether this is what you want. But, you can do
> alpha-blending for texts with the following example. (You will need
> to use mgp with xft support) [..]

No, that was not exactly what I was looking for. It was more a kind of
effect, where text is smoothly blended in via alpha-blending. But as I
said, this is rather a nice toy feature than anything essential.

I have noticed some inconsistencies for building the latest mgp
versions, in particular on Mac OSX. In the images subdirectory,
/sw/include should be added to the include directories searched by
configure. This also causes problems for getting other libraries
detected and working (eg mng support), because the /sw/lib and
/sw/include directories are not included in the configure script.
There is also a SYS_LIBRARIES instruction "-Wl,-rpath,/sw/lib"
generated, which doesn't compile (but manually removing it from the
Makefile works).

Also, on MacOSX the bmp format does seem to be buggy. The error
message I get is like:

IMLIB ERROR: Image width > 32767 pixels for file
IMLIB ERROR: Cannot load image: background.bmp
All fallbacks failed.
background.bmp: unknown or unsupported image type
failed to load image file

COnverting to png works fine though, and is an acceptable workaround.

Best wishes,
  Marc Baaden

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
 mailto:baaden@smplinux.de      -      http://www.marc-baaden.de