[mgp-users 01163] Re: Sam's Improvements; my MGP macro processor

> * In message <>
> * On the subject of "[mgp-users 01162] Re: Sam's Improvements; my MGP macro processor"
> * Sent on Wed, 28 May 2003 01:02:55 +0100
> * Honorable Chris Ball <chris@void.printf.net> writes:
>
> >> On 27 May 2003 17:44:33, Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> said:
>
>    > I think this is the wrong direction.  Why not just use XML for
>    > the mgp format?  That would solve most problems I experienced.
>
> Because Humans don't speak XML.

I find XML easy to read and write (using emacs).
XML is just glorified S-exps!

The main feature of XML is that its syntax is unambiguous.

E.g., it turned out that in mgp 1.09

%size 3
	foo

has no effect on "foo".
with XML, it would have been obvious what the expected behavior is.

At any rate, all we can do is wait for Yoshifumi Nishida to weigh on
this issue.

> there are many of us, however, who feel that a person
> having to write XML is a failure of interface design.

as Tim Maher would have said, you are welcome to write a WYSIWYG editor
for mgp/xml :-)

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat9 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>