[mgp-users 00709] Re: %include directive

hi,

sorry for the long mail, but i'd really like to get this feature added to
mgp.

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

>i was afraid that your message would make other people misunderstand.

i wasn't the one who changed it - i was the one who originally asked about
adding the feature. :)

> 	we forbid %include because of the following issue:
> 	- outside of the preamble, there's context kept in parser (like
> 	  font size).  if you set font size by %font, the information
> 	  will be effective for the following lines.
> 	  if we permitted %include outside of the preamble, the semantics
> 	  of the directive would become too confusing than we can probably
> 	  manage.

i understand completely.

i'm probably not communicating clearly so let me try again:

i'd really like the ability to include mgp presentations within other
presentations. it doesn't matter what we call the _new_ directive, so i'll
make one up. let's call it %insert. an example will help.

assume we have 3 small presentations called ip.mgp, tcp.mgp, snmp.mgp and
we want to give one big presentation call tcpip.mgp.

the tcpip.mgp would look something like:

  # comments
  #
  <preamble stuff>
  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
  %page

  Title Page

  # now we "pull in" the other smaller presentations in order
  # of the tcpip protocol stack

  %insert $HOME/mgp/ip.mgp
  %insert $HOME/mgp/tcp.mgp
  %insert $HOME/mgp/snmp.mgp

  # end of presentation

is that better? i sometimes am too bried and don't explain things fully.
does this help? if so, do you think we can get the feature added?

- brett