From: "Dean S. Messing" <deanm@sharplabs.com>
Subject: (mgp-users 00378) Re: mgp-1.07a is crashing X
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 04:45:05 +0900

deanm> Ok, I've verified that my problems with %xsystem causing X to crash
deanm> is a windowmanager problem and not a server problem. In fact, I started
deanm> Fvwm2 on another virtual terminal (under linux) and both the sample.mgp
deanm> slide with the %system command (xeyes) and the one with the %xsystem command
deanm> (xclock) ran flawlessly.  So now what can I do?  I doubt anyone
deanm> on the KDE team will be willing to look into the source of magicpoint
deanm> and find out what the %xsystem command does so that they can trace the
deanm> bug.  And I, myself, am an X ignoramus so I wouldn't know what
deanm> technical abra-kedabra to say in the bug report to help them.
deanm>
deanm> Any suggestions?  Can anyone translate what the %xsystem command really
deanm> does into something I could include in a KDE bug report.  Or maybe
deanm> there's a KDE expert here on this list that could actually look into
deanm> the problem :-)  Is the author familiar with KDE?
deanm>
deanm> Dean
deanm>
deanm>
deanm>  :: > Thanks,  Jim, for the reply.
deanm>  :: > So it's a window manager issue and not a server issue?
deanm>  :: >
deanm>  :: > I'm running KDE 1.1.2. I wonder if the bug is in the WM or in MagicPoint?
deanm>  :: > If the former, I will submit a bug report to KDE.  If the latter then
deanm>  :: > I suppose this discussion on the list constitutes a bug report here.
deanm>  :: > What is the verdict?
deanm>  :: >
deanm>  :: > Dean
deanm>  ::
deanm>  :: To add another data point, I'm using 2.2.16-3 kernel (on top of an
deanm>  :: initial RedHat 6.0 installation -- 2.2.5-15), and using Gnome, with
deanm>  :: an X server compiled to run on IBM Thinkpads -- that I found on a
deanm>  :: Linux-Thinkpad webpage.
deanm>  ::
deanm>  :: For me, %xsystem works fine.  However %system commands that generate
deanm>  :: X-windows ocassionally flash the outline of the window, and then
deanm>  :: dissappear, but mostly I don't even get to see the flash of the
deanm>  :: window -- I just get nothing.  So I use %xsystem for displaying
deanm>  :: X programs.  Probably also WM related.
deanm>