(mgp-users 00223) Re: rendering

In the wise words of Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino:

> >BTW: What is the current status concerning the rendering on different
> >resolutions? The linebreaks are different sometimes for e.g.
> >1024x768 and 800x600. This is a little bit annoying. Is there a chance
> >to work around this?
[ . . . ]
> 	Example: Rendering engine returned "this letter should be 8 pixels"
> 	when we are on 800x600 screen.  The rendering engine should return
> 	10.24 pixels when we are on 1024x768 screen, however, as we can't
> 	render 0.24 pixels onto screen, we end up with 10 pixels or 11 pixels.
>
> 	I think we can't do much about it.

Well, this is one of the most important problems with MagicPoint, IMHO.
(I often need to work at different resolutions, print PostScript, etc.,
and to maintain a separate set of slides for each of these triples my
work. Instead, the solution is often to have slides which look ugly but
print correctly. Not good.)

One thing which would help with this problem would be to try rendering
the slides with (using your example) 10 pixels vs 11 pixels. If 11
pixels overflows the screen, then fall back to 10; if it doesn't, render
that.

If you adjusted all font sizes in the same direction, then it might not
even be too complicated.

--
Fear leads to anger.            Jon Lasser   http://www.tux.org/~lasser/
Anger leads to hate.                 Work:  jon@umbc.edu    410-455-3708