(mgp-users 00008) Re: Time-based advance of mgp pages?

On 10-Jul-98 Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh wrote:
>>Is there any way for mgp to advance automatically through the various pages
>       for quickhack solution, how about adding "sleep(5)" in demo-mode page
>       flipping code?  I'll be adding a option to do this. (such as -d5)

Yes, that may be the interim solution.

Also, I was looking through window.c and found a function
getNextEventWithTimeout(...) which could be used instead of XNextEvent(), with
appropriate other modifications.  IMHO, an elegant solution would be to add an
optional argument to the "%pause" directive representing the number of seconds
to pause.  (0 or no argument would mean to wait for a key as before).  Then, the
"%page" directive could also change to add a number of seconds to display the
page.  Obviously, this solution is much more complicated.  Finally, a command
such as "%repeat" or "%goto <pagenum>" is needed at the end, since the
presentation must repeat itself.  (This could be done from a shell script,
for now.)

As you suggest, the program can be hacked to get something running quickly.
I'll look into both solutions.

Thank you very much for your suggested patch.  Again, this program seems
excellent.  Looking through the code, I was impressed as well.

Best wishes,

Walter D. Harris