[mgp-users 01184] Further font thoughts . . .

Now that I've had my "first cup of coffee" and the electrolytes
are flowing, I'm thinking that my problems with getting the correct
fonts in Ghostview displays of mgp2ps output are a Ghostview problem.

If I look at my *.ps file produced by mgp2ps, it has
all my fonts listed, with their "mappings, as shown below.
I'm not sure if those "mappings" are just more precise specifications
of the correct names, or instead "substitutions" for something that
might not be too close.

In any case, many of these fonts are not being displayed correctly
with Ghostscript.

I'm using Linux, with X11, on SuSE 8.1.

My new fonts are truetype from Windows (not freetype), and they
all work for MGP itself.

My partner just told me that Ghostview *used to* display MGP
files correctly on this box, and it seems that might have changed
when an upgrade to some aspect of X11 occurred.

So now I'm surfing through /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Windows,
where all the windows truetype fonts are present (some of which
display correctly in Ghostview).

I seem to recall something about editing a file and then running
something like SuseFonts, so I'll look around for more clues about
that.  In the meantime, if anybody knows what I should be doing,
please drop me a line! 8-}

Here's the excerpt from my *.ps file:

%
% scan_font page 1
% xfont "times-medium-r" seen, mapped to ps font "Times-Roman"
% tfont "arial.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "ArialMT"

** Never heard of this font!  Maybe it's for a cursor or something?
% xfont "k14" seen, mapped to ps font "Ryumin-Light-H"
%	(wildcard match against "*")

% tfont "dixon2.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "Dixon-Italic"
/F004 {/Dixon-Italic findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% tfont "dixon.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "Dixon"
/F005 {/Dixon findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
/F002 {/ArialMT findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% tfont "dixon_wd.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "DixonWide"
% tfont "dixon_e1.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "DixonExpanded-Bold"
/F007 {/DixonExpanded-Bold findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% tfont "dixon1.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "Dixon-Bold"
/F008 {/Dixon-Bold findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% scan_font page 2
/F006 {/DixonWide findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% tfont "verdanab.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "Verdana-Bold"
/F009 {/Verdana-Bold findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% tfont "verdana.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "Verdana"
/F010 {/Verdana findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% scan_font page 3
% tfont "Wqtm_p_t.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "QuickTypeMono"
/F011 {/QuickTypeMono findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% tfont "courbd.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "CourierNewPS-BoldMT"
/F012 {/CourierNewPS-BoldMT findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% scan_font page 4
% tfont "courbi.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "CourierNewPS-BoldItalicMT"
/F013 {/CourierNewPS-BoldItalicMT findfont exch scalefont setfont} def
% scan_font page 5
% scan_font page 6
% scan_font page 7
% tfont "couri.ttf" seen, mapped to ps font "CourierNewPS-ItalicMT"
/F014 {/CourierNewPS-ItalicMT findfont exch scalefont setfont} def

-Tim
| Tim Maher (206) 781-UNIX  (866) DOC-PERL  (866) DOC-UNIX   |
| CEO, JAWCAR ("Just Another White Camel Award Recipient")   |
| tim(AT)Consultix-Inc.Com  TeachMeUnix.Com  TeachMePerl.Com |
|  Watch for my Book: "Minimal Perl for Shell Programmers"   |