[mgp-users 00936] Re: Problems embedding apps in presentations

The problem remains...

None of the 3-4 (working) output options for mplayer works when started
from mgp. I get the same RTC init error even if I run it as root... This
is strange, isn't the rtc device able to handle multiple connections or?

Maby I'll try to post on the mplayer mailinglist to see if I'm able to
make the thing work. I'm also wondering if this is working on your system?

best
Grunde

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Chris Tyler wrote:

> I don't have experience with those applications, but the RTC error sounds
> like the permissions on /dev/rtc don't permit access to the user ID you
> are using.
>
> According to the mplayer homepage, it can interface with X11 through 4 or
> 5 different mechanisms, perhaps you should try different ones with command
> line options. Some require root priviledge, some require various server
> extensions to be loaded as part of your X server configuration, but one of
> them will probably work!
>
> (The simplest place to start would be trying to run xmgp as root if you
> haven't already and see what happens).
>
> (Between using options (1) and (2) below, you should use (1) where
> possible because it will permit the clients (mgp and embedded apps) to use
> fast local transports rather than TCP/IP -- the problem with TCP/IP is
> that the communication between the program traverses the entire TCP/IP
> stack twice (once down, once up) for each packet).
>
> --
> Chris Tyler

-----
Grunde Løvoll