(mgp-users 00436) What about PNGs?

Since MagicPoint is free software, and GIFs are encumbered with proprietary
restrictions, I'm surprised I haven't seen support for the PNG ("Portable
Network Graphics," or "PNG's Not GIF!") format. As far as I know, that's the
only format besides GIF that supports transparency.

Like GIF, and unlike JPEG, PNG compression is lossless.

Since I haven't been able to find a home page that includes news and latest
developments (http://www.mew.org/mgp/ seems mainly for downloading), I may
well have missed this.

Is any work being done on supporting PNGs?

Theodore B. Ruegsegger
Director, Free Software Lab
DynCorp Information Systems
ted.ruegsegger@dyncorp.com

"The meaning of life is not a fact to be discovered, but a choice you
make about the way you live."  Hilda Bernstein, anti-apartheid activist