(mgp-users 00427) %newimage stomps on colormap with 8-bit display

I am using magicpoint-1.07a.

I notice that colours in the colormap are allocated before the first
page is displayed.  If I use the %newimage command to load an image,
the colormap entries get stomped on by the colours in the image.  The
-colors option does not appear to affect the result.  (I have plenty of
spare entries in the colormap).  This affects 8-bit displays only.
It appears to work OK on 16-bit and 24-bit displays.

I grabbed the 20001016 snap, but a quick browse did not show any
obvious changes.  I am yet to compile and test it.

Some questions:

        - Is this a known bug?
        - Is there a list of known bugs?
        - Is there a list of changes in the snapshots?  CVS repository?
        - Anyone have ideas before I go tramping through code?

Comments appreciated.

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>