(mgp-users 00123) Re: embarassingly slow tfont handling...

> >i think we have a small performance problem here... it is most
> >evident when i run mgp with truetype fonts and a not-solid background
> >(e.g. an image):
> >    rendering the slides is very slow!
>
> 	This is because we do anti-aliasing with freetype, and it is not
> 	trivial to draw anti-aliased text on non-solid background.
> 	(you will need to compute the mixed color, basically)

this still does not explain why as the page is displayed again and
again it takes longer and longer. I am talking about going from 300ms
in the first run, 700ms in the second run, and up to 4-5 seconds and
more then i got bored. The initial 300ms could still be acceptable, is
the 10-15fold increase which is not.

I note, in tfont, a section with a comment
	/* XXX: need optimization */

where you copy images one pixel at a time -- there, using XPutImage
should probably be more efficient. But it is not this that is
responsible of the time increase. I really have no idea where is the
problem, also because i dont see the memory occupation grow.

btw the student here who did the windows port also does antialiasing
with windows fonts (perhaps using fewer levels than with ttf).

	luigi
  Luigi RIZZO                      .
  EMAIL: luigi@iet.unipi.it        . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  HTTP://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)